Thoracic and Vascular Surgery
CTVS or cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons are a team of doctors who specialize in surgery of the heart, lungs, chest, esophagus, and major blood vessels of the body. This includes surgeons who can be called cardiac surgeons, cardiovascular surgeons, general thoracic surgeons, and congenital heart surgeons.
At German Heart Centre, you can expect impeccable cardiovascular treatment and the leading vascular surgeon in Dubai. So, if you are in search of reliable heart treatment, then GHC has your back.
Vascular surgery is a surgical specialty that is performed to deal with diseases of the vascular system. This is the body’s circulatory system, which includes the blood vessels, lymph vessels, and lymphatic system. The blood vessels are comprised of arteries, veins, and capillaries. The arteries transport blood away from the heart, whereas the veins transport blood toward the heart. The capillaries transport oxygen-rich blood throughout the body.
Professor Dr. Uwe Klima
Cardiothoracic surgery (thoracic surgery) is a type of surgery that deals with organs located in the thorax (chest), such as the heart and lungs. It could be used to treat everything like heart failure, pulmonary embolism, or esophageal cancer.
Cardiothoracic surgery encompasses a wide range of procedures, including lung resection, vascular stenting, coronary artery bypass surgery, and many others. Similarly, thoracic surgery is used in various medical fields, including pediatrics, oncology, and neurology.
Our thoracic surgeon in Dubai is someone who has been trained to use surgical techniques to treat various types of heart diseases. The surgeon is in charge of diagnosing, treating, and managing all thoracic diseases.
Different types of surgeries under cardiothoracic surgical procedures
- Open heart surgery – This is one of the most commonly used procedures to treat blockages in the coronary arteries or to repair problems with the heart valves. Open heart surgery can also be used to repair heart defects and correct heart rhythm issues.
- Coronary artery bypass grafting – One of the most common open heart surgeries is coronary artery bypass grafting. A vein from your leg or an artery from your chest wall or arm is used in this procedure to bypass a coronary artery that has become narrowed or blocked due to fatty plaque buildup.
- Ventricular assist devices – VADs are implantable heart pumps that are used to treat heart failure.
- Heart transplant – This procedure is undertaken when a severely diseased or malformed heart is replaced with a new heart from a human donor. This procedure is mostly opted for late-stage heart failure after all other options have been exhausted.
A cardiothoracic surgeon treats patients who have diseases or injuries to the chest. They diagnose them, discuss treatment options, perform surgery, and follow up with patients afterward.
What do cardiothoracic surgeons do?
Cardiothoracic surgeons can treat some of your body’s most well-known organs as well as some you’ve never heard of.
They can treat the following areas of your body:
- Heart and the pericardium surrounding it
- Atherosclerotic arteries
- The chest wall
- Mediastinum (area between your lungs) (area between your lungs)
- The pleura (linings) that surround the lungs
How are heart surgeries administered?
Our surgical team of thoracic surgeons in Dubai follows a plan that is specific to your medical needs and the type of surgery you are undergoing. Here are some elements that are common to heart surgeries:
- Keeping you comfortable and asleep – During your surgery, an anesthesiologist will administer special medication to keep you asleep and pain-free.
- Maintaining your airways – A breathing machine is connected to an endotracheal tube (ET) inserted into your throat and windpipe (ventilator). While you’re sleeping, the ventilator “breathes” for you. The ET tube may also be left in place for several hours post-surgery to ensure proper breathing.
- Incision – To reach your heart, our surgeon will make an incision down the middle of your chest and separate your breastbone (sternum). After surgery, your surgeon will use wires or heavy sutures to reconnect your breastbone, then sew up the incision.
- Keeping your blood circulating – During open heart surgery, the heart is stopped during the procedure and restarted when it is finished. During surgery, a heart-lung bypass machine (a pump) is used to take over the work of the heart and lungs.
Complete spectrum of vascular and thoracic surgeries at GHC
German Heart Centre (GHC) offers a wide range of vascular and thoracic surgeries that are tailored to individual needs. Some of them are as follows:
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Tumor resection
- Emphysema and bulla resection
- Empyema surgical treatment
- Lung and pleura biopsies
- Mediastinal tumor resections
- Lymph node removal and diagnostics
- Thymoma resections minimally invasively
- Pericardial window
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive palmar sweating) treatment
Our experienced surgeons have the required skills and knowledge that are necessary to provide quality care for all types of conditions related to the heart, lungs, veins, and arteries. With this in mind, GHC is an excellent choice for anyone looking for quality medical care. We look forward to helping you find the right medical solution so you can enjoy a healthier lifestyle!