Bicuspid aortic is a condition that occurs when a defect is present in the valve that opens and shuts to allow blood flow from the heart through the aorta. It is an aortic valve with only two cusps instead of three. The aortic valve controls the flow of blood from the left chamber to the aorta, which is the main artery delivering blood to your body.
Between 1-2% of the population suffer from bicuspid aortic valve disease. It can take time for symptoms to start showing if you have this condition, and 30% of people with bicuspid aortic valve disease develop complications that may even be life-threatening.
The best cardiologists in Dubai can diagnose if you have bicuspid aortic valve disease and can provide a treatment plan according to the severity of the disease.
How to Identify Bicuspid Aortic Disease
Bicuspid aortic valve disease is a congenital heart condition that can present itself in different ways.Bicuspid aortic disease refers to any combination of the following that are diagnosed by cardiologists:
- An aortic valve that has only two, instead of the normal three, flaps to open and shut the valve
- An aortic dilation, aneurysm, or dissection (a tear in the wall of the aorta)
- Deterioration of the valve or the aorta
- Rapid changes in blood pressure with activity or stress (labile hypertension)
- Bicuspid aortic valve stenosis
Symptoms of Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease
A bicuspid aortic valve is often not symptomatic. This means that many people do not have any noticeable symptoms despite having the condition. However, as the valve ages and develops conditions such as stenosis or regurgitation, you may begin to feel related symptoms.
If your cardiologist in Dubai detects any of the following symptoms, they may decide to run tests to diagnoses bicuspid valve disease. Some common symptoms reported are:
- Shortness of breath with exercise
- Chest pain
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Unable to exercise or loss of stamina
- Abnormal sound of heartbeat
If you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms, then it is best to visit a heart hospital in Dubai for a checkup as soon as possible. Seeking medical advice from the best cardiologist in UAE will ensure a quick diagnosis and treatment plan.
Causes of Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease
Bicuspid aortic valve disease is a congenital heart condition, which is a defect in the structure of the heart or great vessels that is present at birth. Simply put, it is something that a patient is born with.
Often times, bicuspid aortic valve disease is believed to be run in families, although some generations may be skipped over. In any case, if you have a family history of the disease, it is important to visit a heart hospital in Dubai for regular screening.
Treatment of Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease
Treatment for this disease will depend on the severity of the situation and the types of symptoms that it causes. This may include monitoring, lifestyle changes, medication, or even surgery.
Here is a breakdown of the common treatment plans that cardiologists in Dubai recommend for bicuspid aortic valve disease:
- Drugs to control blood pressure such as ACE inhibitors, ARBs, calcium channel blockers and beta blockers
- Lifestyle changes which include a healthy, low-fat diet that is high in protein and fiber, maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly and quitting smoking
- Surgery which includes replacing the diseased portion of the aorta with a Dacron graft or replacing the aortic valve with one that is either biological or mechanical. Usually the valve is replaced before it totally fails to avoid lasting damage to the heart.
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), which is an innovative, nonsurgical valve replacement procedure
- Valve-sparing aortic root replacement, which is used to repair the aortic root and valve in patients with BAVD and associated thoracic aortic aneurysm.
- Diuretic and possibly digoxin may be added and beta blocker doses modified in cases that include heart failure
Speak to a specialist cardiologist in Dubai about the best treatment plan for your condition. In cases where the condition is not affecting your quality of life, your cardiologist may recommend observation and lifestyle changes in order to manage it.
The Best Cardiologists in UAE
The German Heart Centre is the leading Heart Hospital in Dubai. Our team of specialist cardiologists can give you the utmost care and management for your heart health. From preventive care to surgery and treatment, we will offer you the best heart health care. Contact us now to book an appointment.