The world is currently reeling from the COVID-19 pandemic which is affecting all nations around the globe. It is a time of worry and fear for many, as a severe threat to health persists and Dubai, along with the rest of the world, is threatened by an economic slowdown. Currently, the number of patients affected by COVID-19 is still experiencing an upward trend, with no signs of slowing down in the near future.
Since up till date no medication has been introduced to treat this virus, the words “prevention is better than cure” has never been truer. This involves social distancing in order to limit the spread of the disease.
In fact, the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as qualified medical practitioners and scientists all agree that social distancing is currently the most effective method of slowing down the spread of COVID-19.
What is Social Distancing?
Social distancing, also known as physical distancing, refers to limiting face-to-face contact with others in order to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Research has shown that COVID-19 is primarily transmitted from infected individuals via respiratory droplets or direct contact. It may also be spread by touching surfaces or objects that are contaminated with the infected droplets. These droplets may remain in the air for several minutes before landing on a surface or individual.
Therefore, limiting direct contact with others is necessary to limit the spread of the disease. Maintaining a healthy 6 feet distance between others is ideal to avoid contamination or spread of the disease.
In many cases, individuals affected by COVID-19 are asymptomatic for several days, therefore it is important to maintain distance from everyone, whether they are showing Coronavirus symptoms or not.
Avoiding contact with others may seem like an extreme measure, but it is the single most effective way of preventing interaction with infected droplets. Social distancing keeps you safe as well as prevents you from becoming a carrier of the disease and transmitting it to others.
How to Practice Healthy Social Distancing
You can practice healthy social distancing by limiting your contact with others. The very fundamental ways to practice healthy social distancing includes:
- Maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between people
- Do not attend crowds or social gatherings
- Avoid taking non-essential trips outside, to public places, and public transportation
- Work from home if possible
- Do not visit shopping malls, restaurants, or other non-essential social places
In the case of having to take essential trips, for instance to the grocery store or pharmacy, there are some measures that must be taken to maintain healthy physical distancing and avoiding contamination:
- Limit direct contact with others as much as possible
- Maintain a safe distance between others and avoid large line-ups
- Use disinfectant wipes or sanitizer to cleanse any products/surfaces that you touch
- Avoid touching your face
- Wear a face mask that completely covers your nose and face
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap before and after returning from an essential trip
- Cleanse your hand with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever clean water and soap is unavailable
- Take your shoes off before entering your home, wash your clothes, and take a shower immediately after returning from an essential trip
These measures can help limit the risk of becoming infected with COVID-19. It will also ensure you do not become a carrier and bring the disease into your home. These measures are necessary in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease locally.
While it is uncertain how long this current situation will last, it is important to do your part to facilitate the slowdown of the novel COVID-19 by limiting face-to-face contact and maintaining healthy social distancing.
For any queries regarding the prevention of COVID-19, or if you are feeling unwell and/or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, contact us at the German Heart Centre for advice from professional medical practitioners.